Wednesday 28 November 2007

The Secret (Gay) Millionaire

Today's secret millionaire was Terry who made his money from gay clubs and Mr Gay UK. And what a lot of money; he lived with his husband in a great fuck-off castle with a swimming pool. He went to work in a care home in Penzance, which was as grim as can be. That's my worst nightmare of a job, I'd really like to pretend old people don't exist, if possible. If I start to think about the full horror of what the future holds for all of us (if we don't die young, which isn't a particularly appealing alternative) I'd get badly depressed. So he helped out wiping old people's butts for £5.35 an hour. Poor fuckers. The thought of my mum becoming infantalised like that is truly the most terrifying thing I can think of.
He couldn't hack it though so went to work in the chippy instead. Mmm, chips. They looked quite tasty. Good move.
There was the usual 'this is how the peasants live' debate over bread prices (I wouldn't pay a pound for a loaf myself- unless I had to!)
The lovely old couple he befriended with the daughter in the wheelchair was heartbreaking. They were such a close couple. I honestly can't cope with the tragedy. I'm too sensitive. I honestly don't know how I will cope with all of the tragedy that inevitably lies ahead in life. I'm too weak! I just want to bury my head in the sand about it all.
I'm struck in this programme every week how friendly people are! I know there's a camera there but still, there does seem such a lot of genuine people out there. You don't meet people like that too much in London. They are more likely to call you an animal on the tube for asking them to move up an inch.

No comments: