Tuesday 16 October 2007

Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe

I write about enough dross so I might as well write about something to be treasured. Criminally squirrelled away on BBC4 Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe is probably the best thing on telly. I love everything about Charlie Brooker: Nathan Barley, his columns, his scrabulous addiction, and the fact he replied to my message on myspace (OK, I'm not stalking him, honest). Charlie Brooker says almost everything I think except for about 100 times funnier, more intelligent and angry.
In the mildly crappily-named Screenwipe Charlie rants over clips and attempts to tell us something we don't know about the TV industry, so as well as having a laugh, you also learn something. Last week I learnt that American news is FUCKING TERRIFYING. It really had to be seen to be believed. I can't get over what I saw, the newsreader basically saying all Iraqis were terrorists and when his guest tried to disagree he was like 'cut his mike'. Freedom of speech! Not on that channel.
He also seems to watch a LOT of TV that I watch. My Super Sweet 16! A girl crying because her mum had bought her a Lexus but gave it to her before her actual birthday!
Charlie even almost ruined America's Next Top Model for me tonight! I enjoyed his dressing up as Jay at the end, too.
On a completely unrelated note, what is going on with Charlie and Ashleeeeeen? I like their unlikely friendship. I want to form an unlikely friendship with someone. Perhaps an evangelical Christian.
if you don't have BBC4, watch clips on You Tube or read Charlie's columns (see my links). You're lucky I have such good taste and can pass it your way, really.

No comments: