Saturday 29 March 2008

Sleeping With My Sister

A bit late with this one so bear with me! 'One thing led to another'. A common phrase, but it's not that simple is it? It almost sounds accidental when you put it like that. As Eminem once eloquently put 'what you tripped, fell, landed on his dick?' Aside from that, I'm on their side, really.
This documentary followed half brother and sister Nick and Danielle who grew up apart but met when he was 26 and she was 21. Is it weirder if they look a bit alike? Or is it the shared blood that makes it weird? I can understand the attraction might be strong, it's all that fancying people that look like yourself thing, isn't it? but I thought we were genetically engineered not to fancy our siblings? I have a half sister and I think I'd find it quite peculiar if either of my brothers went out with her, but mainly because we all look so alike? I don't know, I wouldn't disown anybody, I'd just think they were quite fucked up. But they are anyway. My dad might feel quite differently.
Their mum caught them having sex! That must have been quite dramatic. And they are being prosecuted for incest. In whose interest is it to charge them? I felt sorry for them. Personally, my thoughts on it are, if they want to sleep with each other, they aren't hurting anyone else (well except their parents, but we all do that sometimes). As long as they don't have children, who cares? It's not my business, let them get on with it. It may seem strange, but I don't really feel like judging them. I grew up on the Flowers in the Attic books and I was firmly on their side! I think people lack compassion and the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes. They weren't even allowed to be in contact whilst the case was ongoing. What a waste of time and money. The court eventually ruled they weren't allowed to have sex again. Seeing them entwined in each other's arms, I suspect that pigs might be flapping overhead.
The documentary also followed another couple, Tom and Stephanie, also half-brother and sister, but this time married (to other people). They met three years ago for the first time and now cheat on their husbands and wives with each other once a week! Perhaps don't go on telly and admit that? Just a thought.First couple- genuine agony and I felt for them. Second couple- mild narcissism and very cavalier, not much sympathy there.

No comments: