Friday 15 June 2007

I Hate My Bald Head

Oh yes, another snappily titled 'documentary' from BBC Three. I love this stuff! I don't know why but I do.
This followed a guy called Robert who went bald at 18 and was now 26. Because he was so bald (although he still had hair at the sides) people thought he was a lot older than he was.
I can sympathise with this problem, having gone out with a baldie in the past, who cruelly, had the most beautiful long hair when I first fell in love with him (he was my older brother's friend). By the time I ended up going out with him when I was about 21, he was bald in a similar way to the guy on this programme. Of course, he looked better with hair, but he was still an attractive man so it never really bothered me, or him, I don't think. It is sad to go bald so young, and I know a lot of men are paranoid about it, but it's not the end of the world. Quite a lot of blokes look pretty good bald. I can completely understand the paranoia behind it though.
Anyway, in this show, the guy investigated different cures, most of which didn't work, and finally had a really convincing wig made. I was very impressed with it actually, it looked really good and you would never have known the difference. I don't think there was any shame in wearing it, it looked decent.
However, after doing some speed dating bald and non-bald, and then putting a bald and non-bald pic on 'hot or not' and seeing what rating he got, it became apparent that people seemed to prefer him bald. Mainly because it was an extrememly flattering photo he put up of himself bald, and the speed dating women were drunk. I thought he looked better with hair.
In the end though, he decided to shave off his remaining hair and set fire to his wig. He did look a lot better totally bald as opposed to 'tufty' and it was good that he finally accepted himself the way he was. He was good-looking anyway though, so I don't think it was really that bad for him. It's harder to pull of a bald head if you're ugly. Perhaps I should rephrase that. Nah.. it's true, isn't it?!

No comments: